As An Aspiring Author,...

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: As An Aspiring Author,...

Postby kg » 12 Jun 2012, 18:28

All I can say is......WOW!!

Espresso Book Machine

Self-Publishing on the Espresso Book Machine

Locations

It's interesting that there are none in the St. Louis area. The closest is in Columbia, MO, with the next closest in Champaign, IL. I didn't even know such a thing existed. I thought that if I were to try self-publishing, I'd have to contact a professional book printer and buy a minimum number, like 1,000 or so.

It's definitely a consideration.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Jun 2012, 20:18

WOW indeed!!

And what you said is exactly how self-publishing usually works. I'd never heard of this either, and it's a superb idea. It means that people can produce a book of their own, and then haul it round to publishers in the completed form which they'd like to see. MUCH better than having a sheaf of papers fall onto a publisher's desk.

Any idea how much it costs Glenn?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 12 Jun 2012, 21:44

According to their website, it varies per-site, and I'm sure by size, as well.

I have a friend who lives north of Columbia, and next time I visit him I'm definitely going to swing by the place and see what I can find out. I'd really like to see one open somewhere here in the St. Louis area, though. That would be nice!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Jun 2012, 08:18

It'd be very handy.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 15 Jun 2012, 21:58

America is vast..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Jun 2012, 15:28

Certainly a good few times bigger than blighty. Plenty of places from whence Glenn can get ideas for his novels. I'll put that in the plural, because I'm expecting several!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 17 Jun 2012, 16:49

Go Glenn!
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Jun 2012, 17:38

He's being a little trooper with his first one.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 17 Jun 2012, 18:27

Although I have taken the last couple of weeks off. I finally needed a little bit of a break in the action. One can become so involved in something that one "can't see the forest for the trees"...especially true in editing.

I have tomorrow (Monday) off, and likely a few more days after that. I'll get back into it tomorrow, and if not the next several days, then next weekend for sure.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Jun 2012, 20:14

You have to go at a pace which suits you Glenn - and WHEN you can. I think a few days' break is vital.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 22 Jun 2012, 06:28

essential..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Jun 2012, 07:30

I'm even agreeing with Tomsk today! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 22 Jun 2012, 10:48

even Icey is making sense....for once..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Jun 2012, 11:09

Poirot face.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 22 Jun 2012, 15:18

I've been contemplating something...I must not give a 'tip of the hat' to the authors of yesteryear, but completely remove it and place it over my heart in tribute.

When some of the great literary contributions were written, there were no computers or advanced word processors with which to compose it. In fact, there were no typewriters for some of them...they had to be handwritten, edited, and then painstakingly recopied, to be sent to a typesetter (or a scribe!). And no spellchecker?!

:thud:

There was no Internet, either. The only way they had to do the requisite research was to avail themselves of a library (or acquire one of their own) and poor through tome after dusty tome in search of the information they required. Many were limited to living in the area of such a library; in many cases, the only libraries available were maintained by colleges and universities.

I am humbled. Here I sit with all the aforementioned 'missing' modern accoutrements mentioned above, and hence writing is rendered so easy that it's almost ridiculous. The authors of years ago must have been exceedingly intelligent to do what they did...much more intelligent than me!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Jun 2012, 17:21

And that's exactly how JK Rowling wrote her Harry Potter stories Glenn, so not QUITE so yesteryear as you might imagine. It's easiER to rip off manuscripts with electronic help, but probably from the speed point of view mainly. When you're writing long hand, I think it makes you more aware of spelling mistakes. You have fractionally more time to think about what you're putting, whereas when we type we tend to let our fingers race away to keep up with the stream of thoughts we want to get down.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 22 Jun 2012, 23:27

Well, I certainly screwed up! I forgot where I was when I got your message, and now have lost it all. Guess I'll have to reconstruct it:

Actually, Rowling did have a typewriter. It's not like she scribed hieroglyphs on goatskin parchment, or chiseled it on a stone tablet! :P

She also had a good educational background:

Rowling studied A Levels in English, French and German before reading for a BA in French and Classics at the University of Exeter...

...as well as some small previous writing experience:

As a child, Rowling often wrote fantasy stories, which she would usually then read to her sister. She recalls that "I can still remember me telling her a story in which she fell down a rabbit hole and was fed strawberries by the rabbit family inside it. Certainly the first story I ever wrote down (when I was five or six) was about a rabbit called Rabbit. He got the measles and was visited by his friends, including a giant bee called Miss Bee."

(Sound like anyone you know? :mrgreen: )

Something that I find familiar in myself:

In 1990, while she was on a four-hour-delayed train trip from Manchester to London, the idea for a story of a young boy attending a school of wizardry "came fully formed" into her mind. She told The Boston Globe that "I really don't know where the idea came from. It started with Harry, then all these characters and situations came flooding into my head."

(All above quotes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

While the characters and situations for my own concepts didn't flood into my mind all at once, the basics did. I developed the characters and situations later, as time went on (though that time was short). I don't really know where it all came from, either (and I still don't).

Perhaps Rowling didn't use the technology available, but it was basically there. There wasn't as great of access to on-line information, but I know that fairly advanced word processors were available...I was using one in the mid- to late '80s myself. What really impresses me are those who wrote books who had absolutely no access to modern technology at all, because it didn't exist.

As you say, it's easy to "let my fingers rip" while typing. Part of that is knowing I can easily correct any mistakes without ripping page after page out of the typewriter and ending up with half the room (and the small trash can) covered in crumpled up paper (and denuding forests in the process). And 'handwritten'?! Can you say, "writer's cramp?"

[ img ]
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Jun 2012, 09:31

LOL - that hand says it all, doesn't it?

Yes, JK was well-educated and worked for a time as a teacher herself, BUT, according to a TV programme about her that I watched, she used that train journey to write down the basic ideas for her Harry Potter stories. She also said that she used to visit a little cafe, where out'd come her notebook and pen, and she'd scribble away in peace for hours on end.

Of course the first story wouldn't be submitted for publication in her own writing, but she said that her ideas were written down in that way. She's moving on a bit now though. This month, out came her Wonderbook: Book of Spells -

"In June 2012 an exciting new project, in collaboration with PlayStation®3, was announced.

Wonderbook: Book of Spells is an enchanted book that brings spells to life around you, and includes new writing from J.K. Rowling, such as spell descriptions and stories from the wizarding world."
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 02 Aug 2012, 11:06

Here's something Glenn would like.
In one of the projects I'm working on (at work, not for me), they've devoted an entire chapter to wizardry, no dragons though, which seemed at first to be out of place in a crime/mystery novel.
But how they worked it in was actually very simple, just another crime to solve, but the location and characters are all just up Glenn's alley, and they are trying to get into the characters heads to see how and why they did this awful feat. Looks like they are giving the wizard a little more power than common folks realized they had, which lends a couple of interesting parts to the storyline.

The reason this fits the title of this post, is that this is their method of introducing a new author, in order to bring some more, hopefully enchanting books to their line-up. They plan on doing a full spin-off of that one chapter in another series. So I imagine they will name this author of that chapter as a co-author in this book?

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Aug 2012, 16:50

Nothing like stories of enchantment to fire the imagination. Glenn manages to portray his dragons beautifully though. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner